Smoke Alarm Alerts Man To Electrical Fire In His Prestatyn Home In The Early Hours Of This Morning

Smoke Alarm Alerts Man To Electrical Fire In His Prestatyn Home In The Early Hours Of This Morning


Thursday 6th Aug 2020


The importance of working smoke alarms is being highlighted after a man in his 80s was able to escape unharmed from a serious fire at his Prestatyn home in the early hours of this morning.

 

Crews from Abergele, Holywell, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay and Rhyl attended the property on Victoria Road, Prestayn at 04.18hrs this morning (Friday 10th July).

 

The fire, which originated in the bedroom, spread to the roof space of the property.

 

The occupant was downstairs and was alerted to the fire by the sound of the smoke alarm. He went upstairs to investigate and upon opening the door to his bedroom he was confronted with a fully developed fire.

 

He left the property assisted by his neighbour and called 999. They were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but did not require hospital treatment.

 

The cause of the fire is thought to be electrical.

 

Tim Owen from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: ““This incident clearly highlights the importance of working smoke alarms – if the alarm had not alerted the gentleman, the consequences could have been fatal.

 

“This fire clearly shows the danger of electrical fires - they can strike anytime, anywhere.

 

"It's so important to operate appliances according to the manufacturer instructions and to check electrical items and leads for signs of damage or wear. Always buy from a reputable source and keep heated appliances away from combustible materials.

 

“Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.

 

"There are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:


- DON'T overload plug sockets
- DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- DO Unplug appliances when not in use
- DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order

- DO fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.

 

“Why not try out our 'ampage' calculator on our website– visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk  - it tells you if you are overloading your sockets and helps you to stay electrically safe."