Lucky Escapes After Three Cooker Fires In Less Than 12hrs - Stay Safe This Christmas
Thursday 8th Jun 2023
Our crews were kept busy attending three fires involving cookers yesterday (22.12.22).
An alarm sounded a warning when a pan had been left on the hob at a Denbigh property at 12.28hrs yesterday when no one was at home – two crews attended.
Two other incidents involved kitchen rolls left on the hob – one in Rhyl at 21.01hrs which two crews attended and six people had to evacuate their flats, and one in Chirk at 21.09hrs which two crews attended and 3 people were required to evacuate the property.
So, the message this Christmas from us here at North Wales Fire and Rescue Service – please take extra care. We don’t want a fire to ruin your Christmas.
We know that more fires occur in the kitchen than in any other room in the home - and we see an increase in these fires during the festive period
It only takes one small distraction for a fire to start. Please never leave cooking unattended and don’t drink or cook – and ensure to look after elderly or vulnerable family, friends or neighbours.
Follow our twelve tips for festive fire safety:
- Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard. Always use an RCD on outdoor electrical equipment (safety device that can save lives by instantly switching off the power).
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree, furniture or curtains. Don't leave them burning unattended.
- Make sure your family and visitors staying for the festive period know what to do in an emergency. Practice a fire escape plan.
- Decorations can burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters.
- Switch off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they're designed to stay on.
- Take special care with Christmas lights. Always switch off and unplug them before you go to bed. Christmas is a time when we use more electrical items - don't overload sockets and plugs but use correctly fused multi gang safety leads.
- Most fires start in the kitchen - never leave cooking unattended. Celebrate Christmas and New Year safely. The risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after alcohol is consumed.
- If you are planning to celebrate with fireworks, store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
- Make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished.
- Check the battery in your smoke alarm every week and use Christmas as a reminder to clean it and remove dust. You can register for a free safe and well check here
- Keep candles, lighters and matches out of reach of children.
- Take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours this Christmas - make sure they are fire safe as well as checking on their well-being.